Re: Cylinder Number one

To: mrzepkow@rochester.rr.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cylinder Number one
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 11:01:56 EDT
In a message dated 6/18/00 8:29:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mrzepkow@rochester.rr.com writes:

<< Yesterday I pulled the spark plugs to see what I could see, and the plug
 coming out of cylinder number 1 was covered in black soot while cylinders 2,
 3 and 4 were nice/normal.  The center insulator on #1 was all covered in the
 soot (flaky, black , not oily stuff) and the motors manuals say this is an
 indication of running too rich in that cylinder, But why only that cylinder?
 I went down to the auto parts store and bought 4 new plugs, all AC's but I
 bought a one level hotter plug for the number one cylinder.  Seems to be
 working OK for the moment but this isn't my first time with this problem.
 When I first got the car, number 1 cylinder would also foul up.  A
 compression test shows #1 and #4 are getting 160 lbs/sq in. of pressure in
 compression while #2 and #3 get about 140 lbs/sq in.

 So what is causing number 1 to "load up" the plug?  Suggestions?  Things I
 should check further? Opinions? Ideas? >>

When was the last time you adjusted the valve lash?  This can easily cause a
rich on one cylinder problem, and it is a regular maintenance procedure.  A
very easy procedure.  I would do that, if you haven't in the past year.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport