Re: Cleaning and painting parts

To: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>, spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cleaning and painting parts
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 14:16:44 -0700
All,

A non-volatile approach is to start with TSP or a TSP substitute. Works
quite well, especially if you can let them soak for a while. A follow-up
with Simple Green or some other cleaner/degreaser and a toothbrush or some
other scrubber and a rinse with water will finish the job pretty well. I
also use a powerwasher for larger items or just to get started getting the
heavy stuff off.

If you really want your paint to stick, you need to use a metal prep
(phosphoric acid) and lastly, before applying paint, a paint prep
degreaser. You'll be surprised what comes off when using the prep degreaser
(use plain white paper towels or rags). Use rubber gloves with all of this
stuff too if you want to save your skin.

Be a aware the TSP will darken aluminum and and also loosen paint. Another
advantage of the TSP is it will minimize the bi... er, ahem... complaints
about the smell of chemicals.

Gerard

--
Please visit Four Points Travel -
Discount Online Hotel Reservations in the U.S.

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com
   A A