polarizing Lucas generator

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: polarizing Lucas generator
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 20:19:52 -0400
List-

It's been years since I last had to think about this-

I'm working on a '65 MKI Lotus Cortina, orignally positive ground electics.
 The Previous Owner does not remember if he swapped to negative ground or
not (it has not had a battery in it since the early '80's).  I put the
battery cables on negative ground, to try it out. It starts and runs, but
it does not charge.  No loose wires, everything looks fine.  Before I
remove the regulator cover and start testing, I thought I might try
polarizing the generator in case it was previously (and correctly) hooked
up for positive ground.

I remember installing a radio, and converting my old Rover 2000 (many, many
years ago) from positive to negative ground, swapping the coil terminal
connections, opening the tachometer and swapping internal lead and ground,
swapping over the battery connections and...  polarizing the generator.
But I forget what I did to do this... I remember a big spark, and then
after hooking the generator wires back up, it charged just fine.

Anyone out there with recent experience?

Bob Woolner
Hillsboro, NH

70 Midget
74 Jensen Healey