Helppp -- Valve Guide Dimensions

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Helppp -- Valve Guide Dimensions
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 09:34:14 -0400
Help Guyz,

Can someone out there tell me the correct dimensions for valve guides
for a '72 MG Midget 1275? Haynes offers no help. Bentley
gives me the OD for a 948 engine (.4695") and the stem diameter for
the 1275 (.278-.279). Are all 1275 guides the same?

I brought the head from my '72 1275 MG Midget into the
local machine shop (also used by the local Brit Car shop)
to have new valve guides fitted. Got a strange call from
them this morning.

Sir! We took the old valve guides out and measured them.
Compared them to the new guides "we" ordered.
They don't match. "Someone messed with the head."

Seems like the guides that came in are BIGGER in ID and OD.

What they took out measured approx .468 OD with a valve
stem diameter of about .278". What came in are more like
.500 OD and .314 ID.

I think they got in the wrong valves, and that my head is
OK (just don't ask my wife about that). What say ye?

chuck