RE: Lead Loading

To: "'Doug Ingram'" <dougi@home.com>
Subject: RE: Lead Loading
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 12:23:21 -0600
Cc: "'Spridgets@autox.team.net'" <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hi Doug ,
I do not believe that there is an incompatibility problem with lead.  The
problem as I see it is the acidic flux used to tin the steel prior to
removed , an acid flux that contains powered tin / lead is painted onto the
metal . Then a gas torch (oxy - acetylene or propane ) is used to heat the
area until the flux mixture tins the steel . Then with the tin / lead still
molten , wipe across the area with a wad of steel wool . Once the whole area
is tined it is critical to neutralize the acid . Make a solution of warm
distilled water and baking soda. With the panel still warm sponge some
baking soda / water solution onto the freshly tined area.  Then flush the
area with plenty of fresh distilled water. Next wipe the area with lacquer
thinner or acetone. Let dry. When done correctly you should have a very
bright and shiny area larger than the low spot (dent) that you are planning
to repair. Use only new bars of lead . Some people try to save money by
re-melting their old lead filings. ( or even melting down tire weights )
When you re-melt lead there is often a problem with porosity ( pores can
trap contamination ) Also re-melted alloys melt at a higher temperature and
will not be so elastic. ( harder to work ) The British use lead for repairs
and then paint  with 2 Pak ( What we call base coat / clear coat ) Also
Eastwood does not warn against using lead with modern paint. My car is still
in self etching primer , But I have not noticed any incompatibility problems
yet .
We will see.
Mark Hanna
AN5