Re: Disc Brakes

To: DLancer7676@cs.com, Daniel1312@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Disc Brakes
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 21:59:47 GMT
     I siphon all the fluid out of the master cylinder with a squeeze bulb
thing that is usually used for batteries, then top off with new fluid.  Then
starting at the furtherest most point {left rear wheel], I open the bleed
screw and let it drain until the fluid runs clear and fills the catch bottle
to about 1 inch.  On the initial start of the drain I pump the brake pedal
hard twice to help remove solids.  Then do the same with the right rear,
left front and then right front.  Of course you must always be sure not to
drain the master cylinder or you will have to start all over again.  Then
surprise, you have flushed the system.
     Did you folks know that when removing brake components it is not
neccessary to drain the system?  Just cut a dowell rod to the length of the
brake pedal depressed and the outer edge of the set.  Put a rag or something
on the end of the stick to prevent poking a hole in seat.
You can then replace a caliper or wheel cylinder and only have bled a small
amount of fluid to remove the air in that part only.  The other neat thing
about this, no fluid drains out of the dangling brake hose.  I have left
systems open like this for a week or more and never lost a drop.
     SAFETY FAST   BOB