Re: Remanufactured? Longish. No direct LBC content

To: <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Subject: Re: Remanufactured? Longish. No direct LBC content
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:25:12 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Since my home has started attracting all manner of used spridget parts, in
all sorts of conditions, I believe that the following concepts are the ones
that I have found most useful:

Rebuilt - Something that is disassembled, checked to be without an
irreparable fault, and then reassembled with new (not used or NOS)
components.  It should function adequately well for a normal lifespan.
Usually the term for a starter or an alternator.

Remanufactured - Usually an engine or a transmission, such a part is not
only checked for faults, but every component, whether worn or not, is tended
to or replaced so that every aspect of the part is at the MEDIAN tolerance
or measurement of the factory specifications.  A remanufactured item should
be essentially indisinguishable from something that just rolled off of the
original assembly line.  No substitutes, no compromises, and parts that are
no longer available must be custom made to the appropriate specifications in
order to be considered remanufactured.  For instance, an engine that has
been overbored, even if rebuilt perfectly adequately with performance
components, could never be considered remanufactured.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
'68 Sprite