Re: Remanufactured? Longish. No direct LBC content

To: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Subject: Re: Remanufactured? Longish. No direct LBC content
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 22:55:41 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
"Peter C." wrote:

> I would like your opinions.

Like Charles said.
And my opinion.........
You *rebuild* shocks, you opem them up, clean them out, and replace
anything and everything that fails whether it needs it or not.

This is rebuilt.

If you *remanufactured* shocks, you would have to cast new aluminum
bodys and steel arms then install all the guts using new cams, pistons
and seals.

This is remanufactured.

lines 1 & 2 should be outlawed or only allowed at home on your own part.
lines 3 & 4 represent rebuilt but with line 4 being *improved* or
redesigned.

>   My questions: Are these differences something you consider when shopping
> for a part? What helps you decide? warranty length? price? packaging?
> advertising?

I have learned that WHO you buy from really matters.
You sell quality, I don't ask for prices (unless I am clueless like in
BMW stuff)
Your rebuilt shocks are a wee bit more expensive then Apple Hydraulics
but your do not fail in a matter of months. You showed me what Apple
does and what you do.
Apple cleans and paints, you rebuild.
As far as warrantys go, that's a joke these days. Everything is
warranteed for life. The life of the part, not your life. I buy saw
blades gauranteed for life, they last about a week. I called once just
for ha-ha's and was told how many cuts should be expected for the *life*
of the blade. (note what life they were talking about) But they would
repair or replace if I paid shipping both ways. about the same price of
a new blade with out the hassles.
Packaging is getting tougher and tougher to find out where the product
is made.
I wonder when they will change the Pep Boys names from Manny, Moe, and
Jack to Ching, Chang, and Wang? My other local car parts store is Car
Quest, aka Car Crap by just about everybody in town because most of
their stuff is crap. Brake pads that last about a year, hoses that just
kind of melt away, fan belts that squeal like pigs, and remanufactured
(make that repainted) parts that just fail from day one. Oh they make
good for it but who wants to return a bum caliper late on a Saturday
afternoon because it was rebuilt wrong?
Even my son learned already about cheap (quality) parts. He now knows
where to buy from even if it takes a few days to get the part. At least
it's correct or rebuilt as in line 3 or 4.

Price... You buy cheap you get cheap. But now days you pay big bucks and
still get cheap if you don't know WHO you are buying from.

Advertising... You mean *marketing* like M&Ms melt in your mouth not in
you hand just ignore all those sticky colors in your hand.
Look at all the people who actually buy water wetter! What a concept,
dish soap in a tiny bottle with a large price tag!
Would ANY retailer advertise that their product is pure junk?
Your rewording of that sprite ad was a perfect example of advertising.

>Can you think of different terms for each of the 4 levels
> above? Should there be a distinction?

      1) A used part is cleaned, inspected and if no fault is found,
greased,
painted and sold. Usually these are not cores, but take-offs purchased
from
used parts dealers by "remanufacturers" (often called spray and pray)

Recycled or used.

        2) A used part (core) is inspected and only the broken component
is
replaced with a new or repaired one of the same design.

Reconditioned
        3) A core is disassembled entirely and reassembled using all new
or
rebuilt functional components as were used at the time of original
manufacture.

Rebuilt to original specs

        4) A core is disassembled entirely, all new components installed
and
improvements in either material or design are utilized where a pattern
of
failure is noted.

Rebuilt and improved. or Redesigned
--