Re: Concorde Crash No LBC

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Concorde Crash No LBC
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 13:29:24 -0500
While in Paris last month I took several pictures of a Concorde at Charles
Degaulle/Roissey while pulling into the gate, and then on takeoff.  I wonder if
they are of the plane that no longer exists.  According to Janes, Air France
operated 6 of the aircraft prior to the accident.  Maybe I should sell them on
Ebay!

FWIW -- when I was an air traffic controller in Los Angeles, Air France would
occasionally fly the Concorde from Las Vegas to Hawaii.  Aircraft would remain
subsonic until over the Pacific and then turn on the juice.  It would climb to
about 40,000' then accelerate about 300 knots, then climb another 10,000' then
accelerate another 300 knots.  It repeats this until at its cruise altitude of
either 55,000' or 60,000'.  Our radar only displayed ground speed up to 999
knots
which the Concorde easily exceeded.  If I remember correctly, it would file a
Mach number of 2.01.

Shawn