Re: Ingenuity required - Impact wrenches - VIN numbers

To: mlawyer@starpower.net
Subject: Re: Ingenuity required - Impact wrenches - VIN numbers
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 16:41:28 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
mlawyer@starpower.net writes:

<< I pulled off the
 hubcap on the right front wheel and found 4 of five lug nuts (with studs
 attached) laying loose in the hubcap.  Apparently, the guy who just
 installed some new tires over-torqued the nuts with his air impact wrench.

 I just ordered an air impact wrench too.... but don't think I'll ever use it
 on my lug nuts. >>

Don't EVER use an impact wrench to install the wheels.  A torque wrench with
the correct setting is the correct tool.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport