Re: Engine rebuild advice... more

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, team-thicko@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine rebuild advice... more
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 17:43:43 -0700
Well, I dug into the engine today, and my earlier question is a moot point now.

As it turns out, the center main journal had some major scoring that was on
the opposite side of the crank I couldn't see initially. I'm a lttle
puzzled why it is only on the 180 degree side matching the jounal offsets
for rods two and three. Seems like the crank wouldn't flex that much, but
maybe between that and heat expansion... (?)  All the other journals are
perfect though. I just hope this crank isn't toast. Is there a way to
salvage it if the center main is beyond oversize bearing shells? Do all
thre mains need to be turned down to match the center one for size?  Also
the 3rd (rear) camshaft bearing feels a bit rough.

Anyway, it's obvious I won't be getting away with just replacing bearings
so I broke everything down. Really a shame. Everything else is like brand
new.

Any advice and suggestion welcome. Recommendations for SF Bay Area shops or
others with expertise wouldn't hurt either.

Gerard.

--
Please visit Four Points Travel -
Discount Online Hotel Reservations in the U.S.

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com
   A A