RE: Fuel Gauge and Sender

To: "'Frank Clarici'" <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: RE: Fuel Gauge and Sender
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 09:07:19 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "'spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Frank,

Both the senders that I have (the original and the new one) screw into the
tank.  The difference is that the original is a one piece casting with a
screw on cover and (rusted) metal float, and the new one is pressed (steel?)
with a plastic float.  The twist on type came after that one.

If it was working correctly, should the needle pop up to the fuel level
instantly, or is it damped as it is in newer cars?  I was wondering if it
was a polarity thing (don't see why, it's just a variable resistor isn't
it?) and tried to reverse the connections last night.  Now it just bangs
down to the lower stop.  I'm a little concerned that I may be doing some
damage to the gauge now!

If it's a voltage thing, the stabiliser keeps it at 10V, correct?  Maybe I
need to try putting 10V through instead of battery voltage.

Anyone know if the fuel gauge is a voltmeter or an ammeter?  If I think hard
enough, maybe I can dredge up from the depths some of my basic electronics
theory from high school and work this thing out before I fry something!

Phil