RE: Sows Ear

To: "'type79@ix.netcom.com'" <type79@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: RE: Sows Ear
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 13:52:50 -0600
Cc: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Jay ,
The car was apparently side swiped on the right side.
The DPO who repaired it cut out the dents with a cold chisel
and used pop rivets to attach new sheet metal before filling with
gallons of Bondo. There is also a new door on that side. The bottom
of the " A " posts and  door hinge mounts did have rust so I replaced both
sides with new tin. Any place that has needed some filling , I've used lead.
I have used a very small amount of plastic filler to fix imperfections in
the lead work. A magnet will stick to any part of the cars body. A better
body man could have done the job with no filler. I'm not that good. If I had
it to do over again I would choose a better tub. Still I am glad that I have
saved this car from the crusher. Also because I've done so much body work I
do not feel bad about putting a 1380cc , Datsun 5 speed , leather seats and
Wilton carpets in it. When done it will still look pretty stock. But you and
I will know better. I'm even going to paint the Datsun smooth case olive
green and get many of the other concourse details correct. When I deviate
from stock it will be deliberate . When done this car will be my silk purse.

Thanks for listening,
                                Mark