Re: My first post to the list

To: Jean-Francois Gratton <jfgratton@w3m.net>
Subject: Re: My first post to the list
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 11:49:50 -0400
Cc: KGROWLER@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Jean -

Yes, the Triumph Spitfire 1500 and the MG Midget 1500 did use the same
engine (both in the '75 and later time frame).  However, the serial
numbers on the engines differed depending on which car the engine was
going into (there were minor differences between the two installations).

The "FP" indicates that your engine was originally installed in an MG
Midget (the ones destined to be installed by the factory in Triumph
Spitfires had a different first two letters).

Ken is saying that your car may have had an engine swap at some time in
its life, but if it did, a later vintage 1500 Midget engine was used,
rather than a Spitfire 1500 engine (which would work just fine, with
some tweaks).  It only matters when looking up tune-up specs and some
parts.

Chris K.