Wishbone and Kingpin Frustrationcharset=us-ascii

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Wishbone and Kingpin Frustrationcharset=us-ascii
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 05:09:02 -0400
I joined the list a couple of months ago and here's my first technical
questions.
I'm stripping my '59 Bugeye to begin my rebuild and there's some things
that have me stumped.
1. The right hand wishbone came easily off the car after I undid the two
bolts that hold the wishbone to the hinge points on the car.  When I
tried this on the left hand side, they're stuck.  No problem, I
thought.  The metal sleeve on the bushing has fused to the bolt so I'll
melt the rubber a bit to separate the sleeve and bang the thing out.
Bang away, get bigger hammer and still won't budge.  I think the problem
is the diameter of the bolt with the sleeve on it is too big to pass
through the mounting hole on the car itself (terminology probably not
correct.)  The rear bolt is the real problem - - not so easy to bang on
that one, and if I get it out, I'll probably distort the hinge
point/mounting hole on the car.  Any advice on this?  As a last resort,
can I cut them out?
2.  I'm not quite sure how to remove the kingpin from the wishbone.
>From the diagrams, it looks like I can unscrew it using a slot in one
end.  Given the state of the rest of the car (and the apparent lack of
maintenance), I'm not sure I'll get enough torque on the thing to get it
out.  If unscrewing it is the right thing to do and it doesn't work,
what's plan B?  I suspect that the kingpin is attached to that shaft
thingie pretty solidly.
I checked the archives on this and, while I found some related stuff,
didn't find any answers to these questions.
Thanks for your help.  I'm on the digest version of the list - - does
that make any difference in how you reply?
Donald Mackinnon
1959 Bugeye
Toronto