Positive ground CB radio

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Positive ground CB radio
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 11:22:53 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
A while back I asked for suggestions regarding a CB radio for my positive
ground Sprite. The problem was that all of the small units I had looked at
were only for negative ground installation. I finally did find exactly what
I was looking for, so for anyone interested, it is a Uniden PRO510XL, very
compact, lightweight, positive or negative ground with instructions for
both, and only $69.00 Canadian, plus I paid $10.00 Canadian shipping (total
around US$55) from Durham Radio in Whitby, Ontario
http://www.durhamradio.com . Usual disclaimers regarding this vendor, but
they did give quick service, and were very helpful.

I still have to get an antenna, do the installation, etc. so at this point
I'm just assuming the radio will do the job.

BTW, a couple of listers responded earlier with warnings about potential
consequences (bad) if I put a negative ground radio in the car. I've since
talked to several of my local friends who have done just that, and used them
without problem for years. Complete isolation is the key, using
non-conductive mounts, direct battery leads, magnetic mount isolated
antennas, etc.

But, I'm still glad I found a positive ground radio.

YMMV,

Doug Ingram
Victoria BC
1958 Sprite  (AN5L/636)