Re: Carb rebuild kit: Recommendations?

To: "Cliff Kenwood" <an5l23843@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Carb rebuild kit: Recommendations?
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 05:40:20 -0400
Cc: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Cliff:  I dont remember the specifics of your car....year, how many
miles, etc.   Either kits sold by Moss or Vicky Brit are the same. (I
assume you have both catalogs; if not get them now.)  I have never
gotten an SU kit that came with instructions.  The catalogs list both
major and minor rebuild kits and list what parts are in each.  A
challange is that even with the major kit you will probably not have
everything you need to do the job correctly.  You wont know this till
its all across the diningroom table, er workbench.  If you have lots
of miles/wear on the carbs you may have throttle shaft "issues".  One
of the suppliers does sell a video on rebuilding.....havent seen it.
There is also an SU rebuilding book.  It was recently out of print/out
of stock.  You may make a plea to a nearby lister for the loan of the
book, if you leave your first born as security.  Many of the commonly
available shop manuals have detailed pics of "exploded" carbs but are
rather short on words bout the job.
In summary, IMHO, depending on your resources, financial and
mechanical, you may buy a minor kit and solve your fuel leaks.  Or you
may use one of the rebuilding services and have a very good chance
that all the problems, known and unknown will be addressed.  I had a
real junker pair
 rebuilt for an MG TF recently and it cost just under three hundred.
  Youve got lots of options.  Have fun.  Larry