turbo upgrade

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: turbo upgrade
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 21:15:27 -0700 (PDT)
I got the 1.5"SU "offered up for fitment" to the turbo last night and got a
chance to test drive it this afternoon.  WOW!  Definitely more HP.  The
turbo lag is more apparent now, but once it is spun up it goes like stink.
The %44 increase in surface area of the intake now means the boost reaches
10 psi easily. I can exceed 10 if I don't shift in time.  Without a
waste-gate or a rev limiter, I've got to keep an eye on the gauge now when
I'm stepping on it.  The idle is steadier and can now be lowered to 1000 or
less and stay stable.  I guess the worn shaft of the 1.25 was the cause of
the unsteady idle.

The hoped-for improvement in low end torque just doesn't seem to be possible
with this cam and turbo combination.  It's so-so off the line, but really
pulls hard from 3.5K to 6.  I broke the rear loose on the shift to second
tonight.  I have a feeling gas stations will need to be closer together now.
I'm planning to drive it to Palo Alto for the Brit. show tomorrow and will
see what kind of mileage it will get.  I'll probably have to try several
different needles to get the best performance, but a very rich one from the
old 1.25 seems to be working ok for now.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 Bugeye