clutch failure-cause found

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: clutch failure-cause found
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 22:54:06 -0700 (PDT)
Well its near 11:00, I watched the US women whup Norway at soccer and still
got the motor out.

I found a spring from the clutch plate circulating loose in the depression
of the flywheel where it had worn a bit of a path. I would imagine that the
spring first came loose just before I went on vacation at the end of August
and was the cause of the 'funny clutch sound' that almost had me leaving the
car home.  Parked in the groove in the back of the PP, it lurked silently
until an untimely tilt of the spring this noon got it jammed sideways out of
its groove and jammed the pressure plate.  The steel plate that cages the
spring had a ragged hole the spring could be pressed back into. Wear marks
indicated it had spent a while out of its home.  Examination of the
remaining springs and the holes in the plate that cage them, I could see
that the holes were poorly formed.  Aftermarket Datsun clutch disc is piece
of dung!!  Used TO bearing is smooth as glass.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 Bugeye