Odd assortment of things....

To: "'Spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Odd assortment of things....
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 23:41:58 +0200boundary="_-==15D50DA62360==-_"
Cc: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
--_-==15D50DA62360==-_
 charset=iso-8859-1

Just a few notes on my week.

1.  Trunk lid repainting:  Firstly,  I know that a few days ago when I
mentioned that I was preparing it for painting,  at least one of you bastards
said to yourselves "That poor schnook is going to waste two painful hours
contorting his hands trying to keep the bolt from turning while he tries to get
the tiny nut off the trunk latch."  Well phooey on you.  It only took an hour
before I realized the goddamn bolts were actually studs, and that it was OK for
it to turn as either turning would release the handle.  My hands are killing
me, thank you very much.  Secondly,  the sanding is going rather well.  the 320
wet actually made the paint nice and smooth.  Tonight,  I do the inside, clean
it, and primer it.  So far so good.

2.  Valve cover:  I brought my spare valve cover down to bare metal so I could
paint it.  Will standard sandable primer work, or is it not rated hot enough.
No clues on the can. After an hour ride last night,  the valve cover wasn't too
hot.  I decided it would look cool to paint it the same color as the car.  I
don't think heat should be an issue.  The paint gets REAL hot on those hot
summer days out in the sun.  And the paint in the engine compartment isn't
peeling, 'cept where I dropped brake fluid.

3.  Alternator:  The GM unit has me a little worried.  When I start the car for
the 1st time at night,  the alternator doesn't charge past 12Volts.  The
ignition light isn't on, so it's charging, but not at the 14V I've become used
to.  This has happened 3 times in two weeks, out of 10 different times I've
started the car.  Letting it sit for an hour didn't help.  Running the new
electric fan brings the voltage down to 11.5Volts.  I didn't have my multimeter
handy, so I don't have exact #'s.  Any ideas?  This occurrence coincides with
the engine idle being considerably lower.  From 1,200 (normally) to about 800
when this occurs.  I'm thinking moisture?  But it should work itself out when
the engine gets hot.  It doesn't.

4. Peculiar smell:  After driving the car, I get a peculiar smell coming from
the engine compartment.  Kinda sweet and pungent.  No, there's no Chinese food
stuck anywhere.  Doesn't smell exactly electrical, but could be related to the
alternator problem above.  It's not oil, that for sure.  And my oil pressure is
pretty steady at 25-35psi hot, and 90psi cold (both at idle).

5. The whine:  I have a whine in the engine bay.  It varied with engine speed,
not gearbox or wheel speed.  Depressing the clutch has no effect.  Besides
belts,  any ideas what might whine with engine speed.  It's not the dizzy.
Alternator bearings possibly linked to above?

Another thought that JUST occurred to me.  Would I get symptoms 3-5 if the belt
wasn't seating perfectly in either the alternator, or one of the other pulleys?
 I'm not getting a loud belts whine.  In fact,  you can hardly hear it.

sigh....

Mike
'78 Midget

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information.  No
If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all
sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute,
recipient. CREDIT SUISSE GROUP and each of its subsidiaries each reserve
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any
views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except
where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state
them to be the views of any such entity.
Unless otherwise stated, any pricing information given in this message is
indicative only, is subject to change and does not constitute an offer to
deal at any price quoted.
Any reference to the terms of executed transactions should be treated as
preliminary only and subject to our formal written confirmation.

--_-==15D50DA62360==-_
 name=wssinfo.txt

"WSS <Credit Suisse First Boston>" made the following
 annotations on 09/22/00 17:42:04