Re: Re:NLBC:Firestone, Was Front suspension rebuild, now product liabil

To: "Steven Fooshee" <sfooshee@home.com>
Subject: Re: Re:NLBC:Firestone, Was Front suspension rebuild, now product liability
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 09:45:38 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
The Firestone ATX radial tire is an all terrain tire with an aggressive
tread pattern.  When underinflated it will run hotter than a street tires.
The recalled tires tread has separated from the casing of the tire, with a
higher instance of failures in the hotter climates.  Firestone recommends a
cold inflation pressure of 30 psi minimum, however when Ford tested the
Explorer with the tires at this pressure, they tended to roll over easier.
When inflated to 26 psi, the Explorer demonstrated better stability.  So
without consulting Firestone, Ford listed the inflation recommendation at 26
psi.  It has been argued back and forth as to whether or not this has
contributed to the failure rate of these tires.  The first reports of
failure were in the middle east, where tire pressures are often lowered for
driving in sand, and then not re-inflated when returned to use on hard
surfaces.  Unrelated failures also turned up in Brazil where a separate
factory had been leaving out one of the nylon belts.  Ford and Firestone
both failed to notify the DOT that it had been replacing the faulty tires in
these other countries.  In the US, the greatest number of failing tires were
manufactured at the Decatur plant during a strike, leading to accusations of
quality control.  I can't find the specific data now, but I recall that the
failure rate for the average tire is one per million, and the related ATX
and Wilderness 235 15" tires is running at 3 per million.
David Riker
74 Midget
63 Falcon
70 Torino