Re: Old car emissions

To: "Spridgets List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Old car emissions
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 22:06:56 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Bill said:

>Hello Patricia,
>         emissions test for collector cars?.... if they are to make
>         you meet emission "standards", can you make THEM show you the
>         standards that you are to meet?.... that is... there is a
>         list that they work from that shows max emissions allowed for
>         the car that they are testing, based on the year,
>         weight,engine size  and
>         type of vehicle.... these are either the federal or
>         California standards... ...
>
>         if you do this, you got them, ... they will be
>         unable.......!!!

New Jersey has such a guideline posted at the station where I get my cars
inspected.  The tolerances get to be quite lenient for the older cars.  The
standards are listed as far back as 1970, and the particulate matter and
unburned hydrocarbon level allowable is about 6-7 times greater for 1970 and
earlier compared to current production cars.

I've heard several folks declare that a perfectly tuned car with a good set
of SUs will pass New Jersey's (and most other states') tests.  I believe it,
mine were quite far out of tune, and I passed with no problem.  Just make
sure that if you have pollution control equipment that it is all functioning
correctly, and that there are no exhaust leaks.  Both times I've taken the
Midget to the inspection station, they were always moret concerned about the
brakes, horn, and lights than anything else.

Does anyone have statistics about what the CAFE (did CAFE exist back then?)
figures were for the '67 Sprites and Midgets, when they left the factory?

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
'68 Sprite