Re: tube shocks

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: tube shocks
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 20:37:01 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
From Peter C. <nosimport at mailbag.com>
To: Glen Byrns <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sent: 17 October 2000 18:48

> As long as the moon is so big.........here comes my experienced opinion.
>          The only rationale for using a tube shock conversion on the front
> of a Spridget would be if you were planning to do some off-road pro
> rallying. Not because of damping ability, but as A means of strengthening
> the upper and lower suspension attachments.

Totally agree with Peter C on this one.

My personal opinion of Frontlines' (UK) owner aside, I must say that the kit
for the front suspension is well thought out and adds immensely to the
overall strength and rigidity (?) of the kingpins.  The forces on the lever
arm in the for-aft plane during hard braking would suggest that the kingpin
would lean fore-aft if the bottom fulcrum pin is worn on the threads and the
inner end of the shock arm is worn in its socket.  Fitting the Frontline kit
effectively triangulates the top arm whilst spreading the load of the
bottom-of-the-shock across the whole of the lower wishbone pan.

(Definitely) No financial interest in Frontline

(My honest opinion.  Don't like it?  Doesn't worry me)