Lots of fuel pump questions

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lots of fuel pump questions
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 23:21:31 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Well, I'm getting ready to put the SUs back on the Midget, but I'm worried
about the fuel pump. Right now it has some kind of aftermarket pump on it,
with a couple of attachments - I'm guessing a regulator and a filter - all
threaded one into the other and mounted in the original location. Seems to
work fine with old Carter carb that is on it right now. But I'm wondering
about the pressure. From what I've read SUs should only have about 2-3 psi.
I have no idea what this one has. The pump and other bits look brand new, so
I kind of hate to dump them if I don't have too. Any suggestions? Thought
about buying a pressure gauge, but it seems the ones that I've found are so
expensive I'd just as soon buy another pump with known pressure.

Anything really bad happen if the pressure is too high? Just flood the
carbs?

If I do need to get a pump, does anyone have any experience with the
replacement listed in the Moss catalog (377-185), as compared to the SU pump
(377-175)? Not terribly concerned with originality here. There is also one
on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=469205135 )
that is for the 72-74 models. I can tell it looks different from the earlier
ones, but is there any reason why it wouldn't work?

Thanks!

Eddie
1971 Midget