Re: Lots of fuel pump questions

To: DLancer7676@cs.com, esheffield@prizmail.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lots of fuel pump questions
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 10:02:28 EDT
In a message dated 10/21/00 5:54:33 AM Central Daylight Time,
DLancer7676@cs.com writes:

> Maybe a lister has a way to check pressure

Just been working on my 71 with aftermarket small square electronic pump.  It
checks 2 lbs pressure in the engine compartment just before the fuel filter
and 1.7 lbs after the filter.  This is with a $12 combination Vacuum/fuel
pressure test gauge from ?? local auto parts store. Have not tried to do an
accurate time/volume check on it.  It will pump an inch or two of fuel into a
Coke can in 10 or 15 seconds.  Seemed good enough for me. The car runs fine
after  I solved the other fuel system problems.

I do not know where the pump came from as I have had the car only two months.
 I have been told by a MGB driver I met that he bought a generic from OReilly
or Pepboys or Napa  for $35.00 that works fine.  He said they had a 15 lb and
a 3 lb.  Be sure to buy the 3 lb and replace all the rubber fuel hoses all
the way up from the tank when you change the pump.  Apparently he had a
really bad experience with a cracked fuel hose around the pump area.  He also
made the comment that the pumps will run fine through another pump.  He runs
two inline with each other with a fuel filter between and a fuel filter at
the carbs.  Provides clean fuel to one pump all the time. At every tune-up he
checks to see that both work by disconnecting one at time and checking fuel
press at the carbs. Overkill maybe but should be very reliable.

Alex Holsinger
71 Midget
Tulsa OK