Re: Engine and Transmission

To: ryan marro <ryan_marro@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Engine and Transmission
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 08:16:05 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
You will lose the nimbleness and turning ability of the car if you do that.
However it will go like stink from stop light to stop light. IMHO, the only way
to go and not wreck the engine weight to suspension ratio is to use a rotary
engine and 5 speed in the car. Use a '79-'85 12a and a '79 5 speed. The '79 5
speed is shorter than it's other counterparts of later manufacture and when you
shorten the shifter tube on top of the tranny (you do this to bring the shifter
up in the stock position so it isn't obvious what you have done) you don't
suffer from adverse affects, like the tranny wanting to hop out of 1st and 4th.
The installation is pretty simple, but if you live in a small town a major
problem is finding a shop willing to help build you exhaust system. You will
need to get a pumpkin out of another housing and get it welded for a spool type
rear end also. The '73 still has my fingerprints imbedded in the top of the
windscreen frame on the passenger side from spinning in circles trying to take
off in a straight line <G> Even at speed this can be a problem because a quick
shift and a heavy foot will send your car on a end swapping attempt. The guy who
ended up with the car took it to OK, the laws an inspection are not as tough as
here in Texas (I guess mufflers are optional equipment), and had the thing at
well over 100 mph. Says he lost his ball cap somewhere along the way but at that
speed he was to damn scared to look back for it.................
p.s. I would not recommend that you add a Holley and a racing intake with the
stock 2 can muffler system unless you are very adept at jetting carburetors. The
'73 had a new Pep Boys rear muffler on it and Dave was in his garage tweaking
the engine. I am assuming that the raw fuel was making through the first can and
collecting in the second one, until it got hot that is. BOOM!! He though he was
a victim of a drive by, it split that muffler at both seams, I couldn't talk him
into taking it back under his warranty though............<G> Does Craftsman make
mufflers!?!?