Re: Engine and Transmission

Subject: Re: Engine and Transmission
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 10:34:02 -0400
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Robert.....what you said!!!

I really dont want to get a serious pi****g contest going, BUT....  It
has always seemed to me that the reason we want to buy a Bugeye, or
any other classic from a particular time period is, to as much as
possible, recreate the vintage driving experience and ambiance of that
period, with that vehicle.  I have a few cars representing classic
eras.  To most collectors its all about having that unique driving
experience, which is enhanced by touring the car as it was, when it
was new.  If you transplant a years newer engine, tranny, and a never
ending list of ancillaries, you are no longer able to have that
experience....nor will anyone else who happens to subsequently acquire
the piece of "automotive exotica" you have created.  None of my cars
are show pieces, but if you want an accurate idea of what it was like
to drive a 1947 MG TC, come on down.  If you want to experience a
Bugeye with a 948 engine, a smooth case tranny with all the inherent
limitations that combo provides, come on down.  These and so many
others are unique vehicles in their own right, and deserve to be
passed on, intact, to another generation.   To get really
philosophical, we don't really own these cars, we are merely fortunate
keepers of them, temporarily, and therefore we should drive and
maintain them as stewards for the next guys (or gals).  Of course
these cars have shortcomings compared to the Toyota in the next
lane....accept that and enjoy the car for its quirks.  It's why you
wanted it to begin with, right?   There are kit cars galore......"get
you one of 'em" and create to your hearts content.  Or better yet,
save one from the crusher and build it as it pleases you.  Just dont
"improve" an existing example.

Having had my rant, I do recognize that this is still America, and
they were only cars, afterall.