Re: more 5 speed fever...

To: Toby Atwater <Toby@intri-plex.com>
Subject: Re: more 5 speed fever...
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 20:12:12 -0400
Cc: "'Bryan Vandiver'" <bryan.vandiver@sun.com>, "Spridgets@Autox. Team. Net (E-mail)" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Toby Atwater wrote:

> >You better check your numbers again...
> >I'm pretty sure the kit you are taking about DOES require
> >cutting of the
> >body, that's the reason I didn't even consider it.
>
> Multiple e-mails to XKs unlimited insisted that no cutting is needed. But
> yes, if it does require cutting the cross member, then I will fall back to
> the datsun, either with Paul Morris service, or with Rivergate.     We will
> see...

 Toby

I have the Toyota kit in my A40. I really wanted to use it in my Sprite.
The kit came with the Aussy made bellhousing to accept the Toy 5 speed
and bolt to an A series motor. It was originally designed for the Morris
Minor which has a whole bunch more room in the tunnel then the Sprite.
It did not fit my Sprite without serious tunnel cutting so I cut the
tunnel off the A40 and dropped it in there. I had to fashion a whole new
tunnel for the A40 out of new sheetmetal and some welding. Carpet hides
a multitude of sins ;)
Unless XKs did something different to this kit, it ain't gonna fit.
You will also have to have a custom driveshaft made from toy > Sprite, I
know, that one set me back a few hundred bucks. The A40 has the same
diff as a Sprite.

Do some research before buying it. Or if they changed this kit or it is
something totally different, good luck with it.
Mine was for one of those angle split toyota RWD trannys from a toyota
corroded.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ