a poll

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: a poll
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 14:10:08 GMT FILETIME=[6C817600:01C05232]
hello again fellow gearheads,
the messages have been relatively calm lately so i thought it might be time
for me to ask one of my questions and see if i can start a storm of
controversy.
i currently have a perfectly serviceable 1500 engine,complete,in need of a
rebuild.however,after hearing so much about the idea of dumping a 5 speed
into her,and checking on the cost of buying a 5 speed for my 1500 i almost
choked to death...2000 plus shipping? my god,id feel better if he had a
knife pressed to my throat.
anyway,one possibility would be to dump the 1500,find a reasonably priced
1275,and use the cheaper 210 trans with the conversion kit.
now,my question is,what does everybody think? is the 1275 a better block?the
1500 looks kind of thin to me in some critical areas,is the 1275 a stronger
block design.and would it just dump in or would i be forced to purchase or
fabricate yet another adaptor kit for motor mounts,a different
radiator,etc.,etc.,etc. also,somebody stated that you can use a 5 speed out
of a triumph i think it was?what about the viability of that option? id
appreciate any input,pro and con to help me make my decision. also,whose
brilliant idea was it to make the carrier housing out of aluminum?i was
surprised,after scraping all that road grime off my differential[almost said
rear end but i can imagine the nasty cracks i would have gotten for that
one]lo and behold,the housing is cast-iron but the carrier is aluminum.does
anybody know if the ring gear is properly hardened?im a bit concerned,pulled
the carrier out and found some heavy wear on the top of the teeth on the
ring gear.pinion looks fine,spider gears look fine,backlash doesn't seem
excessive,but those teeth look a little rough.if they are only case or
induction hardened then there is enough wear visible to have blown through
the hardening and begin to wear like crazy.anybody know?anybody have any
problems with their carrier blowing up or breaking down?  thanks a lot,and
let the controversy begin