dash mounted turn signal indicator

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: dash mounted turn signal indicator
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 04:14:17 GMT FILETIME=[593C6ED0:01C052A8]
This one is probably right up Frank Clarici's alley (hopefully).
My dash mounted turn signal indicator on my Bugeye is always on (when the
ignition is on).  The Lucas flasher I had took what seemed like five minutes
to "warm up" before it would blink (and then it would blink very slowly).  I
tried to order a replacement from Moss, but they sent the wrong type and
when I returned it they had to back-order the correct one.  I went down to
Auto Zone and bought the "universal for American cars" 3-spade connector
type.  I installed it in place of the Lucas, and all the lights blinked when
they were supposed to blink and quickly.  The only problem is that the dash
light is always on (until you activate the turn signals, then it blinks).
How can I fix this?  Is it the flasher?  Can I put something in the line to
the dash light to reverse the output so that the light will always be off
until the turn signal is activated?  If I need to test the wiring
harness/bulb sockets, etc, what do I look for?  (I have a voltmeter, but
don't know what I'm testing for).  Any help would be appreciated.  The light
is especially annoying at night.  Why can't the lights behind the
speedo/tach be that bright?
Ryan Marro