body shop questions.

To: "Spridgets@Autox. Team. Net (E-mail)" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: body shop questions.
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 17:39:42 -0800
I have asked two body shops for an estimate on an exterior and engine bay
paint job, and both quotes have been sky high ($6k and $12k!). I knew it was
going to be expensive, and there is allot of labor involved, but what can I
get for 2 grand??? It seems like they won't even spray the prepped car for 2
grand! How much prep am going to have to do, to get a nice paint job? I am
not even looking for show quality either. A quick search through the phone
book revealed about 74 paint shops. There has to be some competition among
them. I was already planning on getting the trim and molding off myself, but
now I guess I will then have to strip the old paint off as well and really
do all the hard prep work myself. There is definitely not going to be any
serious rust or body work needed either.

I would like to try to avoid the $99 special at AAMCO or the like, But I
don't want a concourse paint job in and out either. If some of you could
post your body shop bills and what work was done for me to compare, that
would be greatly appreciated. I promise not to pass out while looking at the
figures.

Oh and I have decided on color. What ever the heritage certificate comes up
as, that's my color! (I am guessing some shade of red)

Thanks

Toby
who is hoping he won't have to ask what works best as a paint stripper.