Re: body shop questions.

To: Toby@intri-plex.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: body shop questions.
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 22:18:28 EST
In a message dated 11/20/2000 6:41:38 PM Mountain Standard Time,
Toby@intri-plex.com writes:

> I have asked two body shops for an estimate on an exterior and engine bay
>  paint job, and both quotes have been sky high ($6k and $12k!). I knew it
was
>  going to be expensive, and there is allot of labor involved, but what can I
>  get for 2 grand??? It seems like they won't even spray the prepped car for
2
>  grand! How much prep am going to have to do, to get a nice paint job?

Toby,

Check with the community colleges, tech schools,even tech high schools.
Often they will take a project like this for the cost of materials.  You wont
get show quality, but you should get a decent job.

Or...if you are willing to do all the prep...consider an Earl Schieb or
Macco....the way they scrimp is in the prep.  Some on the TR list have gotten
a good job this way.

OR...check the lower income part of town, the guy who paints in his garage on
the week end, maybe the same pro from the resto shop moonlighting...but call
a couple of the cheapo used car dealers.  They are NOT paying 6-12 grand to
repaint a car they probably would have trouble getting 5-8 grand for on the
lot...

I have said many times that people pay $1000 for $300 paint jobs.  I really
should revise that to people pay $3000.00 for a $1000 paint jobs.

Good luck, but keep the faith of the we cheap club.

RH