Re: Mazda Rear Diff/Disk Brakes

To: NewNGsInfo@cs.com, britclas@WorldShare.net, Corry@iol.ie, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mazda Rear Diff/Disk Brakes
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 15:12:11 EST
John,

I think the only thing I am missing is bottomless pockets full of money, a
fat bulging wallet, and a bank account in Switzerland.  It might be nice to
have rear disc brakes but they are far removed from necessary on even the
quickest road or race spridgets.

I don't believe anything about brakes being out of balance side to side on
drums.  To be precise the brakes would have to be adjusted to take into
account extra weight of driver or driver and passenger trips and so on.
Further, many years ago when I had drum brakes on the front of my Mini they
had to be adjusted correctly otherwise the car would pull to side under
braking.  I expect the same argument would apply on a Spridget with drums on
the front.

If the front brakes lock before the rear that is good.  If the rear brakes
lock before the front that is called a SPIN.

The fronts should lock before the rear though you want the rears to lock
shortly after - though once the brake balance is set that way you obviously
need to learn how to brake without locking the wheels at all, now that the
bias is correct front to rear.

On my car after installing bigger disks all I did was to increase the bias to
the rear.  I might add that there is plenty of scope to still load the rear
drums so if I fitted discs all I would do would maybe having a more
restrictive to the rear, bias setting.

My car has LSD (ATB type), hardened shafts, panhard rod all of that other
stuff and over 100bhp with a Spridget axle case.  If wouldn't have worked out
cheaper to use Mazda stuff because of the work involved and that fact that
the parts would have been s/h anyway (LSDs don't last for ever, especially
not clutch pack type and what type is the Mazda?).  If I sourced all my
performance parts s/h I bet they would work less than Mazda stuff or Ford
being cheaper here in the UK.

I have nothing against discs at the rear of the Spridget I just want to see a
good argument for fitting them because I don't see that they are required or
a cost effective conversion.

Daniel1312

In a message dated 23/11/00 19:52:24 Pacific Standard Time, NewNGsInfo@cs.com