Re: Mazda Rear Diff/Disk Brakes

To: Daniel1312@aol.com, britclas@WorldShare.net, Corry@iol.ie, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mazda Rear Diff/Disk Brakes
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 22:51:03 EST
Daniel,  Rear Disk Brakes?

You are missing the fact that drum brakes cannot be adjusted as well for
right and left.  If they did any good (worked), they would be un-balanced.
If you have good front brakes (as in they can be locked up), then you need
rear disks if your performance is up (relative to weight). Yes, you might
need the front/rear pressure adjust. Granted, we are not talking about the
stock Sunday driver Bugeye, but the machine that is driven such that hardened
axels, limited slip, double berrings, panhard rod, and proper suspension are
required.  Given that need, the Mazda is much easier, cheeper, and gives you
the disks as a bonus.

Mind you, I have the former, not the latter.  I'm just telling it like I wish
I'd have done it and like I've seen two budies do it.  It is some trouble,
but much less $$$$'rs with bullet proof results.  Keep in mind that there are
some of us who have the plan for all the bolt on improvements that can be
done without destroying the car if someone wanted to do it stock inna 100 yrs.

John Carey
61 Bugeye at:>
http://ourworld.cs.com/JCareyPage/JCareyPage.htm

One last thought:  Sterrling Moss kicked butt on Laguna Seca with aluminum
finned druns to the  of his Bugeye, but remember, he does not use brakes inna
race.  It's just where and how you drive I guess.