Re: Guess what I will be doing today?

To: "ryan marro" <ryan_marro@hotmail.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Guess what I will be doing today?
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 19:59:19 -0000
From ryan marro <ryan_marro at hotmail.com>
To: <rob@thomasr.greatxscape.net>; <spridgets@autox.team.net>;
<Daniel1312@aol.com>
Sent: 01 December 2000 00:53

> What's the difference between the A and the A+?
> Ryan

How long have you got?

Larger big end journals (2 inch instead of 1 5/8?  Don't remember)
Different rods to fit the crank.  Oil filter cast into the block above the
distributor (1500 Midget style). Different distributor clamp on some
versions.  Engine mounts CAN be bolted from the side of the block, about 6
inches rearwards from the normal mounts (or use a standard Midget/Minor
front plate).  Silent timing chain tensioner.  No bypass hose on some models
(drill + tap your own).  Big valve head available on some models as
standard.  HIF carbs as standard on 95%.  Turbo block/crank/head etc avail.
Strengthening ribs cast into the block sides on post '80ish models.  I can
post photos of ANY of these parts as I have stripped A+ and Turbos in the
garage.  Would a 70KB JPEG help?

Still 'fairly' easy to find engines that have never been bored or ground.
30K mile Marinas/Itals are not impossible.  Cranks can be offset ground to
stroke them.  Headstuds are stronger, as standard.  Basically, a newer,
stronger, more user friendly engine that comes ready bolted to a Midget 1500
gearbox.  9 BHP more from an Estate Ital in standard tune (Station Wagon in
US?) than from a standard 1275 Midget!!!!!  You can put A+ cranks into A
series and do any similar changes in reverse.  My '72 runs an Ital
1275/HIF44/Spitfire box.  Only the distributor drive shafts and flywheels
are not interchangeable.

The list goes on.

(No doubt someone will correct me if there are any mistakes.  Please do!)