Re: HS2 Carbs

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: HS2 Carbs
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 14:33:21 -0500
Oh yeah, I forgot...you also have to relocate the expansion tank forward a few
inches. (just fabricate a short bracket)

I actually did mine for about $150 (not including the carbs, which I already
owned) and about 20 hours total time (not including just standing there and
staring at the carbs)

See also Trevor's web site for pix. (mine is a little cleaner looking (sorry
Trevor!)).

I would suggest that you DON'T EVEN TRY to fit MGA carbs into the Midget as you
will have to also replace the choke levers (later HS4's have a shaft) and the
fittings are all banjo fittings.  I found that with the Carbs off of the '70B,
that with the existing UK spec pollution control (just a carbon absorbtion
canister) I could hook up all of the appropriate vacuum and fuel vent lines
properly.  This would me next to impossible with early carbs.

If I were you, I would get the whole kit from a UK breaker (carb, linkage,
aircleaner) and then rebuild the carbs.  Bolt it up and drive!

Chris Stanton

>>> Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu> 12/05/00 02:16PM >>>
These carbs are actually off a 1500 MGA. But the below description is pretty
helpful, thanks Chris. Now all I gotta do is talk the current owner out of
them for a reasonable price. ;-) Oh and find a manifold, and modify the
linkage, and ................

Larry

At this exact moment in time 12/5/00 1:02 PM, "Christian Stanton"
<cstanton@pixley.com> made the profound statement:

> Larry,
> HS4's are 1.5" carbs as used on MGB et.al.: To change them over to Midget use,
> here is what you need to do:
>
> - UK Spec manifold and linkage for Midget 1500 or Spitfire 1500 (The UK cars
> never had the ZS carb). Don't get the 1300 manifold for HS2's.  Get ALL of the
> linkage.
> - Heat shield for above
> - New fuel bowls (different height) and rubber bowl spacers. (the MGB spec is
> at an angle, the Midget is not)
> - New needles (see O2 sensor below).
> - Depending on your year exhaust manifold you will have to bung the openings
> for the EGR valve and air pump. (I made a threaded brass plug), grind manifold
> off to clear UK intake.  Make spacers up (copper plumbing pipe) for intake to
> exhaust mounts.
> - The carbs will now be closer, center to center than the were on the B so you
> will need to cut the cross shafts down or better yet get a UK spec set with
> the manifold.  The throttle levers have the spring return in a different place
> than the B and you will need these for proper throttle return.
> - New choke cable/handle - I just purchased the MGB one and located it down
> next to the hood release.
> - I also installed an Oxygen sensor in the exhaust stream so I could tune it
> finer.
> - Modify the body near the rear carb - BFH time - New motor mounts help here.
> I found after I made the mods that I had plenty of room even without modifying
> it.
> - K&N airfilters with offset down 1" or UK spec air filter.
>
> Changed the character of the car completely!  Best performance change you can
> make for the 1500.
>
> Cheers
> Chris

> OK Pardon my ignorance, and my deleting a series of mails about what the HS4
> etc designations mean. Is the HS4 the 1 1/2 inch variety?? The reason I ask
> is I may have a set of 1 1/2 inchers for nearly free. Not sure yet then I
> have to get a manifold.
>
> Larry
>
> At this exact moment in time 12/4/00 10:09 PM, "Trevor Boicey"
> <tboicey@brit.ca> made the profound statement:

>>> Get the intake manifold of an earlier Spitfire engine.  If I remember right,
>>> you
>>> can go all the way back to a Mk II Spitfire manifold, and have it bolt up to
>>> 1500.  The earlier engines ran dual SU's, as did 1500's from countries other