Re: Diff fluid, et al.

To: Steven Fooshee <sfooshee@home.com>
Subject: Re: Diff fluid, et al.
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 08:39:47
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Stephen,

My Mk I Sprite Workshop Manual cautions that an "emergency" hand made gasget
for the Rear Axle Hub should be "about .010" (.254 mm) thick.

My Haynes, ('58 > '80) however, says re the same job "paper at least .008"
(0.2 mm) thick".

I recently purchased Moss gasgets, and they measure approx. .020" (.508 mm)
thick.

(I find it hard to measure something like these, as they compress a little
when I
squeese the calipers. First reading is something like .021"; squeese real
hard and
it goes down to around 0.19"; so rough average is .020")

Think I will also use some silicone (Hylomar Blue) sealant. It's a real
bummer to
have your axle leak when you have just renewed the brake shoes.

Hope this helps.

Ron in Ireland
'59 Sprite "Oggibip"