Re: Kids, Cars, and a no start LBC

To: davriker@pacbell.net, spritenut@Exit109.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Kids, Cars, and a no start LBC
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 13:48:42 EST
Frank,

With a DCOE correctly calibrated it doesn't take long to wet the plugs if the
ignition system is such that the engine doesn't fire.

I think you will find that fuel does not evaporate from a DCOE float bowl
rather that it always leaks out someplace (like the back of the cold start
device).

Are you trying to start the car using the DCOE cold start device whereas
previously it wasn't used connected?  I would junk it - a DCOE with a few
pumps should fire up at at least 10 below and then some.

I doubt that the venturi are too big given it a 40 on a 1275.

But this sounds suspect <The Starter just weezes out just before it kicks
every time, it does this for 10 minutes and then the battery is dead>

It doesn't sound like the starter is cranking at a high enough speed to me.
Plug the sparkplugs out of the engine and see if winds over like a top - the
starter should stay engaged no matter what - but if it doesn't maybe the
bendix spring is weak or the pinion damaged (I have smashed a few starter
pinions over the years).  If it cranks over like a top with no sparkplugs but
with them in and cranking the motor releases early it more like some kind of
poor electrical supply problem to the starter.

Hope this helps - remember a car is a just a machine and has a reason for
everything it does or does not do.  People are human and don't have reasons
for half the stuff they do or don't do and are unpredictable and
inconsistent.  At least the car has a consistancy about the fault it is
displaying.

Daniel

In a message dated 18/12/00 21:51:30 Pacific Standard Time,