Re: Safety Check

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Safety Check
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 17:10:26 -0800
Good tip, Frank.

For a while, my bonnet would pop open often.  The safety would hold it, but
it was still unnerving.  I found that when the grille is removed, it is easy
to see what is going on with the main latch.  In my case, it was a
combination of misalignment and a gummed up mechanism.  The piece of flat
stock that makes up the moving latch did not slide all the way under the
cone that is the latch part that is attached to the bonnet.  Spring tension
is supposed to engage it, but I could push it much further under the cone by
hand (with grille removed).  I had to play around with it for a while to get
it aligned right.

Test the safety catch as well, make sure it will hold the bonnet when it
springs open.

Ulix