First start

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: First start
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 17:31:18 -0500
The 1275 Midget is finally back together. Started it for the first time
last night, ran it 20 minutes while breaking in the new 270n Kent cam. I
seem to have several small problems. Although I am positive I set the
timing correctly, it will only start when I rotate the distributer to
the left. At that point, it starts and runs, doesn't miss, but
occasionaaly backfires through the carbs. A short test run today proved
that the timing is definately off, backfiring, no power and pinging. It
will also run only with the choke fully on, although I did noting to the
carbs. If I start the engine, correct the timing using a light, and the
lower the rpm by decreasing the choke, it starts to backfire. I'm not
sure I have the vaccum advance hose connected correctly.  Any
suggestions?