Steering and suspension

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Steering and suspension
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 16:42:30 FILETIME=[D3B794F0:01C078C8]
List,
If I want to redo my steering and suspension, I assume I should do all of
the steering at one time and all of the suspension at one time.  I'm getting
ready to do the steering.  I have the tie rods and tie rod ends.  Can I go
ahead and replace these and do the suspension later?  Or do I need to do the
suspension at the same time (i.e. could the old suspension excessively wear
the new steering components)?  My shocks don't seem to leak, the suspension
seems ok, I've jacked the car up and pulled at 12 and 6 and at 9 and 3 like
the Haynes says and don't see any problems.  I also checked the steering and
there is no play in it.  Because my Bugeye is an old car and I'm not sure
what has been done to it before, and because I would like to have some piece
of mind, I wanted to replace a lot of things.  I figure the old parts can be
kept as spares if they turn out to be ok.  My steering doesn't seem to be
quite right.  Deep grooves in the road sometimes give the wheels a mind of
there own.  I remember this being a concern on a motorcycle, but it only has
two wheels.  Shouldn't the Bugeye be free from this problem?  Also,
sometimes over bumps, the wheels act like that wheel on a grocery cart that
just wobbles wherever it wants to go.  The steering wheel stays steady in my
hands, but the wheels seem to move.  I took the car in to a restoration shop
and asked to have the problem I described checked out.  He told me my
problem was separated belts in the old tires.  These tires were OLD and I
have replaced them.  I was going to replace them before I took the car to
the shop, but the guy told me to wait so that I didn't mess up new tires by
having something out of whack.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.
Ryan