RE: E-bay gold

To: "'Greg Higgins'" <higgs@cgocable.net>, "Spridgets@Autox. Team. Net (E-mail)" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: E-bay gold
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 18:36:57 -0800
Oh yes... e-bay is a gold mine. I had some "junk" laying around that I put
up for sale. My rear heater for my land cruiser in very good condition
fetched $300. I later learned that they are out of production and hard to
find... but I still have piles of stuff to sell off. No Spridget stuff yet,
and I will probably garage sale most of it on the list when my project is
over (sometime after the apocolypse)... but if there are no takers, it's
EBAY time.

There is some fraud to worry about. I have witnessed some nasty sellers jack
up the price by creating fake accounts and users and bidding on their own
items.
Check the bid history on items you are interested in, and make sure all the
bidders have some feedback, as that is harder to fake. 3 or 4 users with no
feedback and all with e-mail going to the same provider as the seller is a
dead give away. I usually send them a nasty e-mail and forward it to
abuse@ebay.com just for good measure.

I have purchased allot of hard to find stuff on there... One tactic is to be
a ruthless bidder and outbid everybody with 2 minutes left at the end of the
auction. It is pretty unsportsman like, but it does work. I had several
auctions snapped up under me this way, and I finally caught on to their
tactics.

Toby