Re: Barrett-Jackson auction

To: higgs@cgocable.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Barrett-Jackson auction
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 01:05:12 EST
I actually watched the entire broadcast this afternoon from 4-7. There was a
stunning 1953 Bentley Continental R that was sold for $150,000+. The only
other British car I recall seeing was an alloy-bodied Jaguar XK-120.
Exceptionally nice, but the bids "only" got to $140,000, below the reserve on
the car, so the car was not sold.

As for the broadcasters, I've never been a fan of Brock Yates, but Alain de
Cadenet (who was giving commentary right by the cars) knows his European
classics quite well. He was essential to the group-when Talbot Lagos,
Buggati's and a Delage drove up on stage, the hosts (Yates and another guy)
were at a total loss, and if it weren't for de Cadenet, would really have
embarassed themselves.

Since this was prime time auctioning, Barrett-Jackson only rolled off what
was hot in the market, and it looks like British cars are not the rage in the
collector's market. What is considered hot, accoreding to them, are hot rods,
muscle cars, et al. It was interesting to watch, but I admit I didn't really
see anything I was dying to own myself.

Trouble is with the over-restored cars, you can't even think of driving them.
Well, they cost more than my home, the people buy them, but to me, to spend
$200,000+ on a car I have trailered to Pebble Beach, am I really getting my
money's worth?

Tom