Differential Exchange - Techie Question, Bandwasters can Ignore <G>

To: midgetsprite@egroups.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Differential Exchange - Techie Question, Bandwasters can Ignore <G>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 02:47:02 EST
Techie Question -

I would like to swap my standard 4.22 differential for something with a
higher gearing. I know the later 3.9 is the most common swap but I am
interested if the 3.73 differential from the 1500 Midget will go into a rear
housing from a Sprite MkII. Would the crown & pinion fit directly into the
older rear housing? Is some machining necessary? Or would it be necessary
swap the entire rearend and axles?

This rearend will be going into my Bugeye, which will be a daily driver when
finished. I do a lot of freeway driving (at the legal speed limit of course)
so I am looking to keep the rpms down as low as possible. The car will have a
fast road 1380 (110hp & 105 ft/lb torque) so the higher geared rearend should
not hurt low-end performance too badly. I know some of you will say go to a
5-speed to keep the rpms down - that will be a future project, but too
expensive right now.

So is this a easy or hard swap? Help me out you Techies!

Jim Rogers
San Juan Capistrano CA
59 Bugeye