RE: Cosmoline?...

To: "Paul A. Asgeirsson" <PAsgeirsson@compuserve.com>
Subject: RE: Cosmoline?...
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 01:30:51 -0800
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "David Ramsey" <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>
While searching around for more info I found a thread from another list
discussing this:

>The discussion that has been going through the list lately has prompted
>question - has anyone considered using one of the metal prep solutions
inside
>steel frames after building.  The metal preps are phosporic acid
solutions
>sold by DuPont and other professional car paint companys and really
work
>great in terms of forming a layer of phospated iron on raw metal.  Such
>coating has some corrosion protection of its own but is also gives a
great
>surface for adsorbtion of oils/waxes or paint and would be of great
benefit
>for futrher application of "framesaver" type products.

>I've found that a great all-purpose prep for frames before
>painting is a hot dunk in bathroom tub and tile cleaner that I
>get in gallon jugs at Costco, much cheaper than proper phosphoric
>metal prep, but it combines phosphoric acid with detergent, so
>any steel part soaked in it will emerge uniformly gray and
>completely degreased, needing only a quick water rinse to be
>ready for painting.

 >It's probably also fair to note that Petroleum Jelly [yes, Vaseline]
is
>chemically the same as cosmoline.  Melt it and pour it in?

>>Somwhere around the garage I have a surplus catalog that
has a good price on government-surplus hot-melt Cosmoline
in 10lb bricks, cheaper than Vaseline and it smells just
like military surplus tools ;-)  Can't remember which
catalog it is, maybe Barnacle Wharf?

Just picking nits, but Cosmoline is partially-oxidized
petroleum jelly, while Vaseline is not partially-oxidized,
unless you happen to have a jar that's been sitting open a
really long time in a hot climate, in which case it gets
brown and smelly just like Cosmoline.<<

At 9:15 PM -0500 2/9/01, Paul A. Asgeirsson wrote:
>Hi Gerard,
>
>I hate to admit to this, but I was hanging around gas stations and
garages
>long before cars came equipped with coil springs!  It was a common
practice
>to grease cars every 1000 miles and check all lubricants,  you think
only
>Brit cars leaked?  and the other thing that was done was to paint the
sides
>of leaf springs with a special concoction.  This was an extra charge
item,
>usually.  Many springs on cars were wrapped with metal sleeves that had

>grease fittings on them, cinchy to lube, others were wrapped in canvas
type
>stuff, best left to the dealer.
>
>Anyway, the stuff that was used to paint the spring sides was made up
of
>chassis lube, LOTS of graphite powder and enough motor oil to thin it
out
>so you could mix it up and it would run, sneaky like, between the
spring
>leaves. All mixed up in about a 1 quart oil can, 1/2 full or so.   It
was
>painted on with a bristle shorten paint brush, continually dipping it
into
>the stuff and brushing vigorously onto the springs.  Simple formula,
worked
>well.  No high tech here, just good results.  Wonder if this would be
an
>EPA apprved way today?
>
>Regards, Paul A
>
>FROM:   Gerard Chateauvieux, INTERNET:pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com
>TO:     Spridgets, INTERNET:spridgets@autox.team.net
>CC:     Bryan Vandiver, INTERNET:bryan.vandiver@sun.com
>DATE:   2/9/01 6:47 PM
>
>Re:     Cosmoline?...
>

>When asking for suggestions for preserving my leaf springs, someone
>suggested trying cosmoline. I've since come to learn that this is used
>preserve cars and engines for transportation... and also for guns.
(Sorry,