Re: Help! SU frustrations!

To: "Eddie Sheffield" <esheffield@prizmail.com>
Subject: Re: Help! SU frustrations!
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:26:25 -0800
Cc: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Eddie,

There's a lot to narrowing down the problem by long distance, but to answer
two of your questions:

1. the small nipple is a vacuum advance connection to the distributor.

2. if you're seeing one piston riding higher than the other, then your
butterflies are not set properly. To correct this problem:

You must make sure that both idle screws are backed out and not making
contact with the linkage on either side. Next loosen the linkage clamps on
both sides and hold the butterflies closed. Set each pin on the linkage so
it just makes light contact with the lost motion lever (forked lever) on
each carb. Making sure both are exactly the same, tighten the clamps.
Rotate the linkage by hand and observe if both pins make contact
simultaneously with the movement of each butterfly. Do this by watching the
contact point on each last motion lever. If they make contact at different
moments, repeat the previous process until they are identical. Once you
have acheived this, turn in both idle mixture screws one turn from the
point that they just begin to operate the butterfly. Again, you want the
linkage to make contact simultaneously on each side. Start the car and
adjust each screw the SAME amount until you have the proper idle. If you've
done everything correctly. you should be able to observe both pistons
rising the same amount when you open the throttle. Continue to adjust both
screws until the move in unison (one more, one less to maintian correct
idle). If you have made certain that both jets are turned out an equal
number of flats from the their start position, slightly the front piston
approx 1/32 inch and see if the idle increases or decreases.

increase = too rich
decrease = too lean
slight momentary increase = correct.

repeat with rear carb.

Observe that the height of each piston when running is the same at idle and
when opening the throttle. If they idle the same but are not in sync when
you open the throttle, then the amount of oil in the dashpots is uneven.
Also listen for differences in pitch with regard to the airflow.

Other things to check are float levels (both the same) and making sure the
jets are centered. If you missed to first step, balancing butterflies,
you'll never get it sync-ed right.

Gerard

--
Please visit Four Points Travel -