Keeping the rodents at bay

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Keeping the rodents at bay
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 13:36:43 -0500
Hey folks:

Since its starting to get a bit warmer around here, I decided to start cleaning
up the Midget for Springtime, and noticed that under the master cylinders and
on the other side near the coil there were the tell-tale signs of a rodent's
nest.  Nothing that the shop-vac couldn't handle, and knowing not what else to
do, I sprayed some WD-40 in the area (not harmful to paint) hoping that the
odor would be unpleasant to a small animal, but this morning, I noticed that
the animal had returned.  I'd get a cat, but then instead of a mouse/rat
problem, I'd have a cat problem.  Any ideas, that would not involve chemicals
(I have a dog, and soon a small child) or snap traps?  Frankly, I don't want to
trap anything in the engine bay, because it would tend to rot/smell, or eat
through wiring.

Also, while checking my brake fluid levels, I noticed that the master cylinder
cap indicated to use DOT-3 fluid only.  Hmmm...   Is there any wat to tell
whether or not I have a non original sort of brake system?  Or has someone just
replaced the cap.  In the 18 months since I've owned the car, I haven't needed
to do any brake maintenance, so I really don't know its history.  Is there an
easy way to tell DOT-3 fluid from DOT-4 just by looking at it?

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
'68 Sprite