Re: Keeping the rodents at bay

To: cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Keeping the rodents at bay
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 12:07:29 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Charles,
 I recently experienced a similar problem, when rats ate through my brand new
tonneau and turned my car into a condo. They also ate all the insulation off
the under dash wires. I went immediately to the feed stoe and bought a truck
load of Just One Bite, and put it in appropriate areas in the garage. Rats run
along the walls, so if you put the bait bars next to the wall, and lean
something over them creating a tunnel, your dog should not be able to reach
them. Our dogs have never shown any interest in them at all. The rats will not
die in your engine compartment. They go in search of water when they are
poisened. Even if your dog should find and eat a dead rat, you should have no
problems. I checked with my vet who told me not to worry unless dead rats were
being consumed by the
hundreds of pounds. While rat bars are definitely not recommended for human
consumption, the reason they kill rats is because the rat cannot vomit, while a
human can. If you want to try a somewhat smelly method of keeping vermin out,
you might try moth balls. These also are highly toxic, but the smell
discourages most critters from sampling the taste. You can get small Have a
Heart traps, and kill or release the rats at another locatiion, but rats are
VERY intelligent, and once a rat has been trapped, you will probably never
catch another. If you want to try this method, use peanut butter for bait.
Good luck!
Kate