Re: Trailers...

To: <HealeyAuto@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Trailers...
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:42:16 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Richard, have you gone crazy ?  By the time you screw around with all of this
stuff, you would have spent more time and $ than just buying a good used
enclosed trailer.  I know because I finally purchased a trailer last year after
a lengthy search.  For your gold cars, you want a high level of security,
unless you plan to sleep in the trailer when you take your car somewhere.  In
addition, the enclosed trailer will protect the car from road rash.  I know
that your Cherokee may not haul a trailer like Jim's (10,000#), but Ross has a
nice small enclosed trailer that he hauls with his Explorer.  With an enclosed
trailer, you could also install a couple of cabinets and haul around a few
spare parts.  Good luck,  Jack.

>>> <HealeyAuto@aol.com> 02/20/01 02:21PM >>>

Hi All,
I am interested in getting a trailer for the Healey Hundred.  My towing
vehicle is a Jeep Grand Cherokee.  I have been thinking about it a bit and
have two ideas that seem practical, but no one in the trailer selling
business seems to know where to send me.

I thought it would be nice to have a trailer that could be used both as an
open trailer and some form of enclosed trailer.  My first thought was to get
an open trailer and have a fibreglass bubble made for it (Any pre-mades???)
that could be hinged at the front for ease to get the car on and off the
trailer.  And still be able to lock it down securely.  This could be made in
a low profile, our cars are only 5'2" with the tops up.   Perhaps with vents
for heat.  And still be removable to use the trailer as an open trailer.
Second thought was similar:  Open trailer with a fibre glass or metal stone
guard on the front.  Then add two or three aluminum tubes bent as hoops over
the car and have a custom tent covering with zippered doors.  Kinda like a
calistoga wagon.  Even slant the rear to avoid splash back.

I am told to get a tandem with progressive brakes and tongue sway control.

So, I am putting it out to those of you who know, or those of you who are
creative, or have had experience.  What are your thoughts?  Recommendations?
Suggestions?

Thanks in advance...
Richard Gordon