Re: Clutch (again)

To: "Glenn Cummins" <rglenn@netdoor.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch (again)
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 19:16:06 -0800
Glenn,

Sounds like a gone throwout bearing. If it was hydraulic, you wouldn't get
the engine dying out when you step on the pedal. The softness could be too
much distance between the fork and the pressure plate indicating a worn TO
bearing. These can wear out pretty quick if you ride the pedal or don't
have enough freeplay.

Does the engine lug occur at just the end or the pedal travel?

Have someone operate the clutch metal and observe how much travel you have
on the rod at the slave cylinder/cluch fork. If the travel seems reasonable
then you have a mechanical problem with the clutch or TO bearing.

The other possibility is a blocked hydraulic line. The rubber hoses
sometimes deteriorate internally and won't release pressure. This could
cause you to overdrive the clutch. Given that you have trouble shifting
gears, I don't thnk that's it though, just something to keep in mind when
checking the system.

Gerard

--
Please visit Four Points Travel -